Assist New Milford in protecting and preserving our surviving farmlands

Commercial Kitchens

Commercial Kitchens

Preparing and Processing Locally Grown Produce for Sale

What items may I make for sale in my own farm kitchen?

Jams, jellies, preserves, pickles and maple syrup may be produced in a farm kitchen. Acidified foods such as pickles must be tested by a licensed laboratory for the correct pH.  If the process and recipe change, the pH needs to be retested.

However, if made in a farm kitchen, these products may only be sold at an on-site farmstand or at a farmers market. (Farmers that sell at the New Milford Farmers Market farmers market must apply for a yearly license from the New Milford Health Department. There is no charge for the license.

What items must I make in a commercial kitchen?

All canned or jarred foods (except acidified foods) including, but not limited to sauces, dressings, fruit butters, salsa, soup dips and mixed spices must be made in a fully inspected commercial kitchen. (Using a commercial kitchen requires a different license then the one needed to sell at a farmers market and may be obtained from the New Milford Health Department.)

Where can I find a commercial kitchen to use?

The following are also available for rent:

St. Peter’s Masonic Lodge #71

11 Aspetuck Ave,
New Milford, CT 06776
(860) 354-5412

Fully equipped commercial kitchen.
Must be reserved for a minimum of one day: $100
Call Joe Cats 203-417-1158 to reserve.

Do I need a license to sell my items?

If you wish to sell the products commercially (in stores) you will not only need to prepare them in a fully-inspected commercial kitchen, you will also need to be licensed by both the New Milford Health Department and The Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection

Have more questions?

Here is the link to the downloadable Farmers’ Market Guide on the Connecticut Department of Agriculture’s website:

This covers all locally grown, raised and made or processed food products.  It also has relevant Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection Food Producer and Connecticut Department of Public Health Food Service information.

EHS Circular Letter #2011-02 from the Connecticut Department of Public Health, available as a pdf from the New Milford Health Department, covers recent statute changes on acidified foods and poultry from small producers.

Contact Suzanne von Holt, Chief Sanitarian at the New Milford Health Department, Town Hall, 10 Main Street in New Milford, or 860-355-6035