Assist New Milford in protecting and preserving our surviving farmlands

Barn Quilt Trail

North Star icon

The New Milford Barn Quilt Trail

The New Milford Barn Quilt Trail consists of eight colorful quilt patterns painted on large wood blocks and hung on antique and vintage barns around our town. It honors our rich agricultural history, the exciting resurgence of farming in New Milford today and the American tradition of quilt-making. It is the first barn quilt trail established in Connecticut.

Already, over 40 U.S. states, including New Hampshire and New York, boast quilt trails in a rapidly expanding movement that began in Ohio in 2001. Get in your car or jump on your bike and use any mobile device to access this site as you visit the eight barn quilt block barns. Google New Milford Barn Quilt Trail in your browser.


Quilt Trail Map

TRAIL MAP LOCATIONS

1. Holstein Cow
19 Wheaton Road
2. Our Mission!
44 Upland Road
3. Maple Leaves
227 Merryall Road
4. North Star
241 Litchfield Road (Route 202)
5. Maple Leaf
140 Park Lane Road
6. Five Leaves
173 Ridge Road
7. Cow and Baskets
Next to the original farmhouse at 122 Ridge Road
8. Mayor’s Garden
Behind New Milford Town Hall at 10 Main St.

Please remember as you drive, bike or walk along the quilt trail to use caution when stopping along country roads to view the barn quilt blocks. Don’t forget that the barn quilt blocks are hung on private property and can only be viewed from public roadsides. Please respect private property boundaries. Responsibility for any accident while viewing the barn quilt blocks rests entirely with the viewer.


HOLSTEIN COW
Holstein Cow, Wieting Farm
19 Wheaton Road
The design was inspired by “Patriotic Cow,” by quilter Mary Henzel of Oberlin, Kansas, although the Wieting cow design is black and white, rather than the original brown. This is because the Wietings have maintained a dairy herd of black and white Holsteins at the farm for more than 40 years. The English-style barn was rebuilt in the 1920s after a fire, when it was part of the Carlson Farm. The current barn was built on the same footprint and incorporates some surviving timbers of a barn possibly from the 19th century.

Back to map


OUR MISSION
Our Mission!, Hunt Hill Farm Trust
44 Upland Road
A country cultural and culinary nonprofit is housed in a repurposed 19th century bank barn. It was founded in the early 21st century by famed bandleader Skitch Henderson and his wife, Ruth, with a mission of “cultivating love of the land, food and the arts.” The red heart on the upper left corner of the barn quilt block symbolizes love; the flower in the upper right corner, the land; the basket of fruits and vegetables in the lower left corner, food; and the artist’s palette and musical notes in the lower right corner, the arts. The 137-acre farm was established by the Hendersons in the 1970s by combining two farms formerly owned by the Hine and Buckingham families.

Back to map


MAPLE LEAVES
Maple Leaves, Smyrski Farm
227 Merryall Road
The quilt depicts a solid eight-pointed star in its center with stylized maple leaves in each corner. The design symbolizes sugar maple trees tapped for syrup there. A dairy operation until the mid-1980s, the farm is named for Adam Smyrski, who emigrated from Poland in the early 1900s. It was donated to Weantinoge Heritage Land Trust Inc., Connecticut’s largest land trust, in 2008 by the last remaining Smyrski children. The 220-acre property produces hay, livestock and maple syrup and hosts environmental education programs.

Back to map


NORTH STAR
North Star, Lillis Farm
241 Litchfield Road (Route 202)
The quilt block, with its popular North Star quilt square design, is hung on a white barn that originally housed workhorses. The year 1929 appears on two of the barn doors. A nearly identical dairy barn stands a few hundred feet to the south. The farm is no longer actively worked.

Back to map


MAPLE LEAF
Maple Leaf, Sullivan Farm
140 Park Lane Road
This barn quilt block design, adapted from a popular 1880 design, highlights maple syrup production, one of several agricultural goods produced there today. High school and college students tap maple trees throughout southern Litchfield County in late winter, producing maple syrup at the on-site sugarhouse. The landmark barn, on which the barn quilt block is hung, was built in 1869 by William Sullivan. He was the great-grandfather of Jake Sullivan, who sold the dairy farm to the town, stating in the deed that the farm always be used to benefit the community. Today, young interns at the repurposed farm grow a wide range of produce that is sold at the on-site farm stand, through area farmers markets and in local specialty grocery stores.

Back to map


FIVE LEAVES
Five Leaves, Bright Green Farm
173 Ridge Road
The five different leaves depicted on this barn quilt block are rich in meaning for the Duffy-Reisberg family, who purchased this antique farm in 2016. The chestnut leaf in the upper left corner represents historic Chestnut Land, the name of the 19th century district of the original subsistence farm, which belonged to the Canfield Family. The birch leaf in the lower left corner represents the Duffy-Reisbergs’ heritage in Eastern Europe, where birch trees abound. The maple leaf in the lower right corner is a nod to the mature maple trees that line the driveway. The apple leaf in the upper right corner commemorates the apple trees on the farm that legend holds were planted sometime after the Civil War. According to Karen Duffy, the bright green elm leaf in the center of the design symbolizes Mother Earth, signifying the “bright green” school of environmentalism that focuses on sustainability, a core value at the farm.

Back to map


COW AND BASKETS
Cow and Baskets, Harris Hill Farm
Next to the original farmhouse at 122 Ridge Road
The Harris family chose this barn quilt block design to honor their farm’s history. It is hung on an older barn that was raised in height in the 1980s to accommodate modern farm machinery for a thriving dairy operation. The 150-acre farm was purchased in 1957 by George Harris, an international expert on the Brown Swiss cows he raised. His grandfather was one of first U.S. importers of this hardy breed. George’s wife, Vivian, was recognized statewide for her tireless advocacy of farmers during a challenging time for farming in Connecticut.

Back to map


MAYOR'S GARDEN
Mayor’s Garden
Behind New Milford Town Hall at 10 Main St.
Former Mayor Patricia Murphy, a longtime quilter and the original advocate of the New Milford Barn Quilt Trail, chose the quilt block design from Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns. Architectural details on the small barn suggest that this mid-to-late 19th century structure was used in part for warehousing tobacco, a major industry in Connecticut at that time. These include reinforced posts under the summer beam, a boarded-up trapdoor that may have been used as an opening for a hoist, and shouldered supports that would have distributed the weight of the 300- to 500-pound cases of packed tobacco stores on the second floor.

Back to map


OTHER NEARBY TRAILS IN NEW MILFORD

Weantinoge Heritage Land Trust  
http://weantinoge.org/our_trails/ Four very different trails on Weantinoge preserves are open to the public.

The New Milford River Trail
www.nmbikewalk.org Two stretches, totaling over five miles of this envisioned 13-mile trail, are complete and offer beautiful views of the Housatonic River.